(This is a review of an EASE Technology Solutions post on the official ETS Facebook page dated February 18, 2017)
Lessons from a Responsible Netizen: A Must-Read True Story
Are you a responsible netizen? What do you usually consider when choosing who to believe online? Do you choose to trust sources who are:
– extremely negative
– supporting anonymity of their sources so they can easily malign the reputation of others and get away with it (or at least they think they can get away with it)
– using vulgar, distasteful words to express themselves in public
– allowing their blog/site to become a circus, a laughing stock, and used as a venue for hate speech and lies
– ignorant about the code of ethics for bloggers and journalists
– readily employing dirty tactics like sending/posting spams or using fake Facebook profiles to derail legitimate activities of offended parties
– taking advantage of malicious anonymous entities with ulterior motives as sources of their so-called “facts”
– making conclusions based on hearsay without showing any tangible evidence to support their views
– promoting unfair, biased, and unverified information
– quick to publish information but are not diligent enough to exhaust all means to get the side of all parties concerned
– does not have enough recognition by reputable organizations to support their credibility as an individual, website, or company
THIS IS A TRUE STORY WITH SCREENSHOTS
We’d like to share a true story that happened this week. An applicant who is interested in applying for one of our open positions inquired about our open house job fair this Saturday, Feb 18th. She sent a message on Facebook asking for more details to which our recruitment team promptly answered. Then after a few hours, she received a desperate spam message from a newly-created fake Facebook profile warning her about our company. What she did next was commendable. Instead of believing right away what she received from an anonymous sender/troll, she took a screenshot of the message and verified if this is true. She reached out to us again by contacting us via a private message and allowed us to air our side. Below are the screenshots of what we have answered to her and we’re really thankful for her gesture.
To highlight some of the contents of the screenshots, our legal counsel sent a demand letter to the aggravating party on our behalf requesting them to take down their obviously biased and malicious post about our company while belying point by point each of the alleged grievances. This person and his cohorts have passionately tarnished to the best of their abilities not only our company’s image, but they have also stooped down to the lowest of lows and concocted malicious stories about certain individuals and trying to break families apart with their blatant and vicious lies. They are so desperate, they’re willing to do anything just to put things in their favor. As such, we have filed a criminal case against the aggravating parties to put them in their rightful place.
Being a professional blogger is a huge responsibility because you get to influence other people’s decisions. You can’t be a blogger simply because you can write, but because you can write fairly, honestly, and objectively. Do not use your blog or abuse your power as a blogger to malign others. Be fair and responsible or prepare to face the consequences.
Again, we salute the applicant for being wise and thinking first why she should believe things claimed by anonymous sources. If they’re telling the truth, they should be brave enough to stand by their claims and reveal their names. And she took the extra mile by contacting the other party concerned to get a better understanding of what’s happening.
And to all our dear netizens out there, don’t let these trolls insult your intelligence. Don’t be swayed easily by entities masquerading to be reputable or trustworthy. Be wise, check and double-check what you see online. And don’t get yourself into trouble by being one of the bad guys.
Next Post | Previous Post